Custom Error page question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Custom Error page question

After a major update, I had my site set up so that when someone didn't find a page on my site, instead of the error code, they got my sitemap. This way they could find the new page.

I did not set this up, hostgator did. But they don't seem to do it any longer.

And a few months ago I noticed that the error page is instead THEIR page. (which takes someone off my site .. and loses them.

In trying to get hostgator to better explain this page http://support.hostgator.com/article...om-error-pages I have not received the "right help".

Can you help me set it up so that when someone goes to a page that no longer exists, they get my sitemap?

Thank you.

Really hostgator can do what they like. Your alternative is to try a .htaccess 401 redirect. Which may not work if hostgator sets it. Or you can ask hostgator to change it.

Comment

So I'm on the right track in thinking that I'll continue to call HostGator until I find the right person who can do it?!?

Comment

Yeah but hosting companies are a pain to get anything done. Most of the time you'll just get a sale rep and not a programmer. I'd try creating the. htaccess file first though.

Comment

'cus i'm a lovely lad!

I've attached a .htaccess file for you.

if you already have one then you just need to add this part to the bottom of your existing file.

Code:
          #first part defines that is for an error
          #second part defines the error number
          #third part is the webpage that should be displayed.
          ErrorDocument 400 /400.html    
          ErrorDocument 401 /401.html
          ErrorDocument 403 /403.html
          ErrorDocument 404 /404.html
          ErrorDocument 500 /500.html
          ErrorDocument 502 /502.html
          ErrorDocument 504 /504.html
          and with php error pages

Code:
          ErrorDocument 400 /error-code.php?error=400
          ErrorDocument 401 /error-code.php?error=401
          ErrorDocument 403 /error-code.php?error=403
          ErrorDocument 404 /error-code.php?error=404
          ErrorDocument 500 /error-code.php?error=500
          ErrorDocument 502 /error-code.php?error=502
          ErrorDocument 504 /error-code.php?error=504
          This should be located in your websites root directory.

either
          Code:
          '\'
          or if you use public_html then place it inside there
          Code:
          '\public_html\.htaccess'
          Attached Files
          Who needs a Signature?

Comment

On a side note you can also use .htaccess to redirect to a sub-directory. For instance if you were running multiple languages on the same server php,asp etc they can run from after specific sub-directories. For instance on my server I have a redirect to /htdocs which runs asp or /jsp which runs jsp

Comment

Sbeynon

Appreciate the code! Thank you (and you left your fellow countryman coothead in the wind)

I do have a htaaccess text file.

1) do I need to change www.elevatingyourbusiness.com/sitemap.html to (for example) 404.html or can I use the page I mentioned above.

2) I have to go check what each of the error pages mean so that I have the correct pages going to the sitemap page.

Comment

Hi maria,

I'll quote a StackOverflow answer for this one.
                Originally posted by Zistoleon
                Sitemap.xml helps your website to be well and fast indexed. By submitting this file to search engines, I don't see any good reason to ask them to index a page that doesn't exist (404 HTTP status).
                link to source

I'd imagine you don't need to put these pages in the sitemap
                Who needs a Signature?

Comment

Working...
                X