HTML videos not playing correctly through iis7

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HTML videos not playing correctly through iis7

I am having a similar problem getting my video to run correctly.

I have created an intranet website that I will run from through iis 7 on a 2008r2 server.

I think I have the iis 7 configured correctly because the layout and the text of the website displays correctly. The problem is with the video. One of the requirements is that the intranet site has to run properly on chrome, internet explorer and firefox. I am getting different results on all three browsers.

This is my code:

<!doctype html>

<html>

<head>

<title>html video</title>

<body>

<H1 align="center">WELCOME TO THE ASCNYC INTRANET WEBSITE</H1>

<br>

<H2 align="center">This site contains instructional videos that will assist you with accessing resources on the ASCNYC network</H2>

<h2 align="center">Click the start button on the video that you want to view, then double click in the video itself to expand it to full screen. Then click the escape key or anywhere on the video to reduce it.</h2>

<h3 align="center">If you have any suggestions for new videos, email the IT department at <a href="mailto:">IT@ascnyc.org</a>.

<HR>

<video id="test.mp4" width="320" height="240" controls>

<source src="test.mp4" />

<source src="test_VP8.webm" />

<source src="test_libtheora.ogv" />

</video>

<video id="testfor web.mp4" width="320" height="240" controls>

<source src="wildlife_x264.mp4" />

<source src="wildlife_x264_libtheora" />

<source src="wildlife_x264_vp8.webm" />

</video>

<source src="testfor web.mp4" />

<source src="testfor web_libtheora.ogv" />

<source src="testfor web_vp8.webm" />

</video>

</body>

</head

</html>

When I access the iis website through a client computer, I get a different output on all three browsers.

1.internet explorer

All three video players are displayed with the controls, but only the “wildlife” video will play. The “test” and the “testfor web” video players display,”INVALID SOURCE” at the bottom of the player.

2.Firefox

All three video players are displayed with the controls, and all three videos will play when I click play. The “test” and the “testfor web” video player will display a still picture of the video before I play it, but the “wildlife” video player displays just a grey picture inside the video player.

3. Chrome

The output on chrome is exactly the same as Firefox.

I have the html and the web content in the same folder. I think have my MIME types set correctly.

Can someone assist me with the html code so the videos will display and play correctly. Please let me know if you need any more information.

Thank You.

You don't have the video type set correctly

<source src="testfor web.mp4" />

<source src="testfor web_libtheora.ogv" />

<source src="testfor web_vp8.webm" />

</video>
    Should be

<source src="testfor web.mp4" type="video/mp4" />

<source src="testfor web_libtheora.ogv" type="video/ogg" />

<source src="testfor web_vp8.webm" type="video/webm" />

</video>
    Different browsers do not support the same media formats in their implementations of HTML5 video and audio, mainly because of patent issues. Therefore videos must be converted to many types to run correctly in all browsers. Also note that video extension does not necessarily mean the video was saved in that format. Note that video/mp4 denotes MPEG-4 Video. There is also mp4 video/h264 saved with a different codec. For reference a fairly complete list of mime types is here http://www.iana.org/assignments/medi...ia-types.xhtml

Comment

HTML videos not playing correctly through iis7

Thank You very much for the help. I added the "type" code and this is what I got:

1. In internet explorer the "wildlife" video will play, but the "test" and the "testfor web" video player still says, INVALID SOURCE.

2.In Firefox, all three videos will play but the "wildlife" video still does not display a still picture in the player( I think I can fix that later).

3. In Chrome, all three videos will play but the "wildlife" video still does not display a still picture in the player before I play it( I think I can fix that later).

Is there anything else I can try to fix this? Thank You again for all your help as I am just starting to learn all this.

Comment

but the "test" and the "testfor web" video player still says, INVALID SOURCE.
        Check to make sure that the mime type is added to iis. Check if the problem persists on just a file:// url and not on iis as you don't need iis to run video on your browser. Check to make sure that the video codecs are in the correct format for internet explorer.

Comment

I added the .mp4 to my MIME type. The entry type is local. When I ran the page with internet explorer from the client machine computer connected to the server, none of the videos will play. When I ran the html file on internet explorer from notepad ++, none of the videos will play. When I run the web page from internet explorer on the server itself, I get a 505.19 internal server error. When I try to run the webpage from any browser on the server itself, I get 505.19 error. I then deleted the .mp4 from the MIME type, the 505.19 error stopped. What video codec should I check on internet explorer? I'm leaving for the night.
          Thanks again.

Comment

When I ran the html file on internet explorer from notepad ++, none of the videos will play.
            Then they aren't in the right format mine works fine with just an mp4 file. However I did get an invalid source on the filename which contained . or spaces so maybe internet explorer has some characters you can't use. The only other thing it could be is that your videos are not in mp4 codec. Did you check the codec?

When I run the web page from internet explorer on the server itself, I get a 505.19 internal server error.
            That's definitely a server error. There are a number of reasons for that check https://support.microsoft.com/en-ie/kb/942055

Comment

I think the forum was down. I just got access to it again. I'm using Any Video Converter professional to encode the videos. I am converting the videos as follows:
              HTML5 MP4 movie .mp4
              HTML5 WebM movie .webm
              HTML5 OGG Movie .ogv

There is one thing I have noticed, when I go into my website MIME types in iis, this is what's there:

.mp4 local entry type
              .ogv inherited type
              .webm local entry type
              I am not getting the 505.19 error any more. All the video players are running as I described before. All the videos play in Chrome and firefox. The wildlife video plays in internet explorer, but the "testfor web", and the "test" video will not play.
              Also, my server version is 2008r2, the client computer is win 7, and internet explorer 11, version 11.0.9600.18282
              Is there anything else you can suggest?
              I really appreciate the help, thank you.

Comment

Try encoding the videos with ffmpeg that's what i use and it seems to work fine. https://ffmpeg.org/

Comment

I don't know if this matters but, the two videos that will not play in internet explorer(invalid source), are screen captures that I made using Movavi screen capture studio pro. I have saved the screen captures in this format:

web compatible video .Mp4
                  H.264 AAC

Can internet explorer play this format? What ever the problem is, I think it's related to internet explorer itself. Both screen captures do play in Firefox and Chrome. Do I need to add the h.264 in my html?

Comment

Working...
                  X