Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Meta tag

I am doing SEO for sites..
    when i try to validate the site using w3c validation it shows an error message like this

<META NAME="ROBOTS" CONTENT="index, FOLLOW">

What Should i do to resolve this error?

That depends on your used doctype. It doesn't validate in XHTML 1.0, but in HTML 4.01 and HTML 5

You could use a robots.txt file instead
    Code:
    http://www.robotstxt.org/robotstxt.html
    Domain Registrar Domaintechnik® | Hosting | Domains | SSL certificate | Webspace Austria

Comment

i assume when you use Validator that give you the MARKUP errors.. so with this Meta you simply have to Close the Tag !! so that must be like this :

<META NAME="ROBOTS" CONTENT="index, FOLLOW" />

Goodluck

Comment

Originally posted by deadmix View Post
        i assume when you use Validator that give you the MARKUP errors.. so with this Meta you simply have to Close the Tag !! so that must be like this :

<META NAME="ROBOTS" CONTENT="index, FOLLOW" />

Goodluck
        If it is XHTML, the tags should be lowercase to validate. In HTML that does not matter, but the trailing / would not be required. Generally speaking it is best practice to have all of the letters lowercase, no matter if it is HTML or XHTML.

XHTML
        Code:
        <meta name="robots" content="index, follow" />
        HTML
        Code:
        <meta name="robots" content="index, follow">
        But the change would only be needed if it were XHTML. As GMF pointed out the original post would validate for HTML, but not XHTML.

If the original poster could provide more information about the error being received, and the URL where it occurs if possible.
        Cheap Domain Registration
        .com .net $9.99 €7.99 | .org .biz .mobi $6.99 €5.39 | .info $1.99 €1.59

Comment

Originally posted by EasyDCH View Post
          If it is XHTML, the tags should be lowercase to validate.
          Yesterday, the validator told me that it was invalid (even lowercase), today, it says it's valid...

What's going on
          Domain Registrar Domaintechnik® | Hosting | Domains | SSL certificate | Webspace Austria

Comment

Originally posted by GMF View Post
            Yesterday, the validator told me that it was invalid (even lowercase), today, it says it's valid...

What's going on
            That is odd. The XHTML spec says that element names and attributes should be lowercase, though I believe the capitalization of attribute value is not as strict. I did some testing at http://validator.w3.org/ and it appears to be working properly in regards to the meta tag for XHTML.

Not for you GMF, but anyone else reading this that does not know.
            HTML Code:
            <element attribute="value" />
            But I still recommend for both HTML and XHTML all lowercase elements, unless capitalization is needed in the attribute value (but not all caps ). This helps keep all the tags uniform, easier to read, write and maintain.

But at this point, in most circumstances HTML is the way to go.
            Cheap Domain Registration
            .com .net $9.99 €7.99 | .org .biz .mobi $6.99 €5.39 | .info $1.99 €1.59

Comment

Working...
            X