[RESOLVED] Static Menu

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [RESOLVED] Static Menu

Please i would like to know how i can create a side menu that would actually be independent of the content of the page.
    What i normally do is insert a table and split it into two, one for the menu and the other for the content, but i always struggle with setting the menu t align properly with the content, since many at times the content is always more than the menu, it would bring the menu lower than where i want it to be, please is there anyway i cant create a menu that is not going to move irrespective of the length on the content section.

First of all i would like to recomend that you learn to make a layout use div's - <div></div> because this makes better practice and second of all i think this should be a solution to you problem -

Code:
    <html>
      <head>
      </head>
      <body>
        <!--Begin table for layout-->
        <table cellpadding="3" cellspacing="0" border="0" width="100%">
          <!--New row in table-->
          <tr>
            <td width="20%" valign="top">
            <!--Navigation content here-->
            </td>
            <td width="80%">
            <!--Content section here-->
            </td>
          </tr>
        </table>
      </body>
    </html>
    As you can see by adding the valign attribute to the <td> tag we can set the vertical alignment of that data cell in the table. Therefore if we set the value of the valign attribute to "top" we can vertically align all the contents of that data cell to stay at the top.

Code:
    valign="top"
    Hope this not only sorts but explains how this problem is resolved

If your thread has been solved by a member of HTMLForums or if you managed to solve the problem yourself, could you please mark the thread as Resolved.

Comment

Thanks for your advice, let me look it up now

Comment

Jus tried it out and it worked, i also read th explanations u gave and i must say that i am very happy bout it, thanks a million. as for the Div, jus that i dont have and dont know of any IDE that really has a vitual interface for its manipulation as they have for tables, thats why i dont really know much about that, but i would try and dig in.

Comment

Working...
        X