Hardware choice

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hardware choice

Hi All - am sure this thread has started many times but as these things change so often I thought I'd ask...

I have a MBP that I work on which is fine and dandy but work (new job) are offering to buy me a shiny PC so I am looking at laptops... Essentially everything I do is web dev but I also do artworking so CS will be on there too. I am aiming at something high RAM spec, not so concerned about processor, as I said RAM is more important to me, as is a decent screen / ports for external peripherals. I will most likely be using Ex-HDD for keeping work on and back ups to make PS etc a bit happier!

So... Just wondering what the great masses are using? I am partial to a Lenovo or Toshiba but wondered what other experiences are...

Thanks

First of all

Get a docking station and a nice screen. No matter how good the laptop screen is, a stand alone monitor will almost always beat it .

At work, I have a DELL Latitude E5520. I didn't ask for it, I just got it .

8 gig RAM (you don't need more but make sure your OS is 64 bit)
    Processor: I7-2620M
    GPU: Some onboard thing, probably integrated with the I7.

All I can say: works perfectly
    Domain Registrar Domaintechnik® | Hosting | Domains | SSL certificate | Webspace Austria

Comment

Thanks GMF - when you say "docking station" I assume you mean for a SATA ? Def going for external monitor!

DELL Latitude E5520 looks good - as it is work paying I may try and get them to go for something with a SSD. Does the Dell work ok with VT? - I can't find any documentation on this... Need to run VMware etc and have seen that quite a few newer laptops do not support VT... Am sure it does and some it is a case of simply switching on via the bios but always worth checking!

Comment

Originally posted by yonderboy View Post
        Thanks GMF - when you say "docking station" I assume you mean for a SATA ?
        No, I mean a laptop docking station. Follow the link, you know what I mean.
        Code:
        http://www.discountelectronics.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=15227
        Does the Dell work ok with VT? - I can't find any documentation on this... Need to run VMware
        I don't know what VT means. Something with virtual machines?
        Domain Registrar Domaintechnik® | Hosting | Domains | SSL certificate | Webspace Austria

Comment

Computer hardware is the collection of physical parts of a computer system. This includes the computer case, monitor, keyboard, and mouse. It also includes all the parts inside the computer case, such as the hard disk drive, motherboard, video card, and many others. Computer hardware is what you can physically touch.

Comment

Working...
          X