Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fireworks Vs Flash

Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone had a had any experience working with Macromedia's Fireworks and Flash programs. I am a budding web designer and need a tool to create my graphics and buttons and nav.bars etc. I can't seem to find out what the main difference between these 2 packages are, they both seem to do what I want and I already have Dreamweaver (present!!) to work with them.
    Any experiences would be much appriciated.

Thanks in advance Skinny

Hi Skinny,

I have used both Flash and Fireworks and the main difference is that Flash was built for web animation and Fireworks is a graphics program.

My advice: If you need to do only graphics like you say, go with Fireworks. It's a great program.

Hope this help you!

------------------
    Isaac
    Big Resources Inc.
    Big Resource Network
    isaac@123webmaster.net
    ICQ# 71401549

Comment

Talking about fireworks, i read somewhere recently that you can't make gifs and jpgs with that. it uses another format (png ??) instead. is that format as widely accepted? is it a better format than the others or just more appropriate in some cases?

------------------
      ~jalouda~
      moderator 123webmaster
      * jalouda@iol.ie
      * http://www.geocities.com/jaloudasworld/

Comment

PNG is a file format that in my mind is no better then gif and jpg. It is also not used much on free web hosts. That can be hard at times, broken img and all.

To set the record stright though, I got in touch with some friends at macromedia to find out about gif jpg production ablity. Fireworks can produce these, but the default is png for some strange reason...

------------------
        Isaac
        Big Resources Inc.
        Big Resource Network
        isaac@123webmaster.net
        ICQ# 71401549

Comment

I've been experimenting with FireWorks 3, and it's quite the program! It makes everything easier if you have Dreamweaver by it's side, allowing you to "slice" images, and just drop them into your design. Very Nice!

Isaac, I never knew that fireworks could save in gif/jpg format. I always opened the png file up in psp (this thing supports every format!) and did a save-as

------------------
          Jacob A. Wheeler
          Co-Founder / Web Engineer
          Big Resources Network
          jacob@bigresources.com

Comment

To save as gif/jpeg, just go to File > Export Preview, and Fireworks will give you a lot of different options and even allow you to optimize your graphics to load faster.

Comment

Fireworks is a web graphics app. It will export in a variety of formats including .jpeg, .gif, .png and even .swf
              It is probably the only graphix program which seamlessly combines vector graphics editing and bitmap graphics editing. It also seamless intergrates with Dreamweaver.

Flash can create complete high animation websites and has its own programming languages called ActionScript. Its famous for being able to create stunning animations which can download quickly over the net because it uses vector graphics and uses the plugin to do the animation calculations. this can be a draw back as the viewer must have the plugin installed. Flash is mainly used to export as a .swf though can also export gif animations, .mov, .avi, .html, .exe to name a few. So you its very versitle.

Fireworks is a very good general web graphics program- Flash can be a whole new kettle of fish. For more info on both visit http://www.macromedia.com

Comment

Our graphics designer uses Macromedia fireworks/ & Adobe image-ready primarily for all of our visual effects. When we code a page to use his images, the main problem I run into is that he has used a bazillion "sliced" images for a page layout. This can be hard because you can easily get caught up in adding too many graphics to a page, increasing the download time too much.
                as far as flash goes its an easy to learn, visual editing environment. The actionscript is fairly simple, especially since writing it is mostly point and click type stuff...similar to dreamweaver, or fireworks. Though people do have to have the plug-in for flash, it has been shipping with browsers (MSIE, NetscapeNavigator, and Netscape6) since 4.0 versions. With over 90% of users utilizing a 4.0 browser or higher...your pretty safe with flash development. The best work I have seen are by using BOTH HTML and Flash together on a web page.

Good luck!

Comment

Fireworks is great! I only discovered it about 2 months ago and since jobs have took half the time.

The PNG thing: It saves files as these as default becasue it allows the image to contain all the layers, etc. (In case you need to edit it later). Exporting the file into HTML creates all gif files (I think) and you can specify areas that should be jpgs. (eg: photos)

As a few of you said, it also works very well with dreamweaver if your into that too.

Flash, however is completely different. This is used for animation and visiters to your site will require the flash plug in to view the content. I loved flash when I first found out about it, but since I've realised its pointless in most cases...

...useful for large animations, but then most people don't bother waiting for them anyway. (Web usability studies)

One thing it is good for is embedding sound into paes though! Only found out about this today when starting work on a clients site. (www.wu-wear.co.uk)

Hope this has shed a little light on the two,

jon

Comment

Working...
                  X