How to charge for web design?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to charge for web design?

I'm interested in learning more about a fee charging structure to follow. I mainly do web desgin with Dreamweaver, Flash, Fireworks and Photoshop. I do very little programming.

I would like to know if there is a site out there or if someone can provide a list of starting prices for:

1) logo design
    2) adding flash
    3) image editing and doctoring
    4) technical writing for the site's information content
    5) making on site visits to take pictures
    6) adding email newsletter
    7) monthly maintenance
    8) meta tags for search engine optimization

thanks

Pricing is left up to the developer... There's no "standard." My suggestion is to compare against other developers.

Comment

I'd charge about $500 to get the site started and $25/hr each for maintenance and the newsletter. Get it written down in a contract, though, spelling out all the details and make sure that you have definite dates and times for the completion of work and payments. Get at least 50% up front, 25% when everything's approved (after so many days/weeks/whatever) and the final 25% when the job is done. Then keep a record of how many hours you work on the maintenance and newsletter.

Mind you, that's only a base amount. If the site is complex, you can get away with charging a bit more.
      Cat-herder Extraordinaire

Comment

I break it down by hours - and then over bid because you know the client is going to have you change 100 things over the course of the project.

Find developers within your range of experience and see what they are charging. Also, as you get into the bigger projects - you will be able to charge more.

Another factor is the clients you are trying to land, if your client makes over 100k annually on their website, you can charge them a lot more than if your working for a mom and pop shop.

Right now I'm at the level of charging 2k a week for my time. But I used to charge a lot less.

Comment

Originally posted by AnthonyDamasco View Post
          I break it down by hours - and then over bid because you know the client is going to have you change 100 things over the course of the project.

Find developers within your range of experience and see what they are charging. Also, as you get into the bigger projects - you will be able to charge more.

Another factor is the clients you are trying to land, if your client makes over 100k annually on their website, you can charge them a lot more than if your working for a mom and pop shop.

Right now I'm at the level of charging 2k a week for my time. But I used to charge a lot less.

Yeah that's definitly a way to do it, if the company makes more, get more out of them... Especially since the website is probably going to be bigger.

Comment

IMO pricing depends on the type of work and approximate hours it would take also it depends on market competition and quality of work required.

Comment

Thanks for your information..Nice sharing..
              Last edited by Pegasus; 06-15-2009, 09:28 AM. Reason: sig removed - you can have one after 30 days membership and 30 posts

Comment

look if website is static then it will be chargeable to 10000-15000 and if the website is dynamic such as using shopping cart ,feedback then it will be 30,000 to 50,000

Comment

I believe for simple static website pricing can be charge per page wise.For example for the Home page you can 50 to 100 USD and for each subsequent inner page it can be charged in-between 12 to 20 USD. Refernce http://webproindia.com/website-packages-india.html

Some people charge and work on hourly basis . They fix there pricing that they will charge n usd per hour and then decide number of hours job will take.

greetings
                  Manmeet
                  Last edited by Pegasus; 08-21-2011, 09:09 AM. Reason: sig removed - you can have one after 30 days membership AND 30 posts.

Comment

Most of them basically say the following:
                    1. Profit is usually about 15% to 25%.
                    2. Overhead includes things like equipment, office space, etc.

Yearly Total = (Desired Salary + Overhead) * Profit
                    Hourly Rate = Yearly Total / Billable Hours
                    Last edited by Pegasus; 01-10-2013, 02:24 AM. Reason: sig removed. You can have one after 30 days membership AND 30 posts.

Comment

Working...
                    X