access web page without typing in .htm extension

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• access web page without typing in .htm extension

I have a page called map.htm on my site, www.sample.com. I want the user to be able to type in www.sample.com/map without the .htm extension to ge to the page. Right now when someone does that, the page will not show up. I don't want to put map.htm in a directory with it's own default page like i have seen some people suggest in other forums. That would be crazy. I have 10 pages. They don't all need to be in their own directory.

I ask here because I was thinking it might have something to do with the way our server is set up. We host are own site on a Windows 2003 server.

Is this a .htm or .html thing. I have a personal site built in php on a different server than the one mentioned above and i could type in a page without the extension and get to the page just fine.

I am new here, so if this confusing or in the wrong section please let me know.

Instead of having the map.htm file, have a Folder called map, then rename your map.htm file to index.htm and put it in the folder.

That will then allow people to type www.sample.com/map

Comment

a possible fix

you can create a folder with the name of the page you are wanting to go to. in that folder have an index.htm file that has this code in the head:

<script>window.location="http://***";</script>

where the *** is the site page you are wanting visitors to be taken to.
      the body needs no content.

you can then copy/paste this folder, change the name of the folder, and edit the destination of *** to create as many of these (my term) "switches" as you need.

not really a "quick" fix, but depending on your site structure, may be more efficient than relocating pages.

be aware that depending on how/who you use to pull your page's analytics - this MAY affect the data!

Thanks,
      digitallydrafted.com

Comment

Working...
      X