• Show
Clear All

• What OS a the best for Server

Linux?
    FreeBSD?
    Windows2003?
    Other
    I heared thad FreeBsd is the best

Mine is hosted on Linux. Seems pretty good, I haven't had any problems with it (yet )

Comment

Hi
      Here's just one resource... http://www.serverwatch.com/stats/article.php/3618911

Microsoft-powered sites, accounted for nearly one-third of all domains, while Apache accounted for close to two thirds. Together, they accounted for nearly 93 percent of all domains.
      I figure 99% of Apache servers are Linux?
      (Although - I am happy to be corrected...)

Cheers,
      d.

Comment

I'd think more than 1% of Apache servers run on other OSs but I may be wrong. I have it on Windows on my home PC.

Comment

i think windows

Comment

*_________________________________*

Each OS has its own strengths,FreeBDS is pretty good at handing resource hungry applications and is rock solid,I have read once that MySQL runs better on FreeBDS than on Linux.Linux is very scalable and stable.For Enterprise use Windows is good.

The choice of OS depends on your requirements and preferences.Like Yahoo uses FreeBDS,Google uses a customised version of Linux and sites like myspace,youtube use Windows.So it will not be right to pick one of these OS as the best.

Comment

Personally I would go for a Unix based OS. The OS I personally like the best is BSD, but I would for you I would recommend Debian or Redhat Linux.

Comment

Well you want to choose what server side languages you will be running and then go from their!

Comment

Every scripting language that works on Windows, can be installed on Linux,, though I am not certain about the other way though, but I think it applies vice versa.

Comment

FreeBSD is by far the most secure server and firewall

We chose Ubuntu Server because of the convenience of it's package manager, and it's community support.

Comment

Re:

As of me Linux is best one, Linux is an open source system and is therefore more cost-effective to operate and maintain, Linux supports a wide range of software, applications, languages, and databases such as PHP, Perl, PostGre, MySQL, PostgreSQL and many others making it very scalable.

Comment

I believe Linux operating system is the best one you would like to choose. Since, most of the Linux based applications and softwares' are absolutely free to download and install most of the beginners choose to go with Linux OS.

Comment

1+ for FreeBSD which i used in school a while back, but was shortly replaced by CentOS which is also an excellent Server distro. Red-hat is also excellent, but then again it's not free

Comment

I prefer UNIX Solaris

From what i understand the most commonly used Server OS is Linux Ubuntu

Apache is by far the most widely used server software and is fairly straight forward in use.

Comment

Working...
                            X