Server info

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Server info

Ok so first off I am not sure that this is in the correct place so apologies if not!

Now, I have about as much server knowledge as I do about flaumbeing a unicorn so can I ask that any replies be kept as simple as possible please.

I am thinking of using an old tower to set up as a server. Mainly so that I can test any pages on the real WWW instead of just on my machine. Also, because I haven't done it yet! (Good enough reason in itself) I have a couple of questions.

1) What would be considered a sensible spec for such a server running maybe two small websites at a time?

2) Which platform is best (easiest) for a numpty to set up? Linux? Windows? etc.

Thanks in advance of any idea's or suggestions.

For just 2 websites you don't need much of a pc. If it can stably run a linux distro, you are good to go. You can always upgrade in the future, should you encounter server failure, due to heavy load, but that shouldn't happen on a test server anyway.

Best platform would be linux. There are tons of distributions, so it can be challenging to get the right one. Ubuntu is quite popular, due to being similar to windows and very newcomer friendly. If you want something more robust, go with debian.

Now for setting up the webserver. Best thing would be to install LAMP - Linux, Apache, MySQL and PHP.
    There are many tutorials that will teach you how to do that.

Here is one
    Code:
    http://www.howtoforge.com/ubuntu_debian_lamp_server
    Domain Registrar Domaintechnik® | Hosting | Domains | SSL certificate | Webspace Austria

Comment

Once again, GMF, I thank you.

Are you the only person on here? Or is everyone else just shy lol

Comment

Could be that you just asked at a not ideal time (saturday).

I just happen to be the first to respond to your server-related question, that's all.
        Domain Registrar Domaintechnik® | Hosting | Domains | SSL certificate | Webspace Austria

Comment

Working...
        X