Restricted Access

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Restricted Access

Hello, I am not sure fully that I am even in the right forum but I am going to give this a try. I have a VPS and I have a forum (phpbb3) being hosted on it, It can be viewed at..
    www.darkvue.com/forum
    I ALSO on the same VPS have a video site, It can be viewed here..
    www.darkvue.com/video

I do not have the forum and the video sites members synced nor do I see myself figuring anything like that out...I am wanting to COMPLETELY RESTRICT ALL outside traffic from ALL sites to my video site while ALLOWING ANY AND ALL videos being played from the forum to play without issues...
    I am wanting to give the appearance of basically the videos being hosted and played by the forum..No reason anyone needs to know about the video site. ONLY the admin of the forum will be uploading videos so as far as the video site yes purpose is to serve the videos to the forum..I don't want google or any other bot/visitor to be able to access ANY of my videos unless they are currently sitting on my website. No, links reaching beyond the forum, No embedding on outside sites, No nothing...If you want to see it...Come see it on the forum and NOT the video site. Maybe even a msg that is someone tries to visit a page from outside my site that was going to the video page it would redirect them to the forum home or to a msg telling them that they cant view it like that and to please access it thru darkvue.com..
    I am rambling but I want to be clear..

Mh.... what comes to my mind

Restrict access to the video directory to only allow your IP. Just create a .htaccess in that directory and paste the following into it
    Code:
    Order Deny,Allow
    Deny from all
    Allow from xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx, xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
    Replace the xxx with your IP (if you have more than one, separate them with a colon).

Now that the access is restricted, we need to restrict the (legit) crawlers, so they won't index the videos. Create a robots.txt file in that directory and paste this into it

Code:
    User-agent: *
    Disallow: ./
    Now for the hotlinking - found a nice code generator that will help you to block external hotlinking. Visit this site
    Code:
    http://htmlbasix.com/disablehotlinking.shtml
    Read the instructions, fill out the form (you need to specify the video format) and hit "generate".

That's pretty much it. Don't know if it works out-of-the-box, but with a bit of tweaking, it should work.
    Domain Registrar Domaintechnik® | Hosting | Domains | SSL certificate | Webspace Austria

Comment

My IP? You mean the IP of the VPS that the forum is on?

Comment

I mean the IP of the people that are allowed to visit (i.e. your pc's IP).

If you don't know it, visit
        Code:
        http://www.whatismyip.com/
        Now you know the IP of your pc.
        Domain Registrar Domaintechnik® | Hosting | Domains | SSL certificate | Webspace Austria

Comment

Working...
        X