Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using Ubuntu To Develop

Hello

How many of you use Ubuntu? Is there much difference when developing sites between Windows and Ubuntu?

Ubuntu is based on Linux which is a FAR better choice of server operating system.
    All of my sites are hosted on a Linux server for these reasons:
    1. It's free
    2. It's faster
    3. It's more flexible
    4. It's far more secure
    From a coding perspective, I don't think there's any difference though I could be wrong, it's been many years since I've had to deal with a windows server.

Comment

Ubuntu here also. Got the FREE server CD through the post and found a perfect step by step LAMP guide, never looked back since!

My only experience of a windows server was a fatal error/exception upon installing. But to be honest, I much prefere PHP to ASP and MYSQL to MSSQL!

Smile, It Confuses People...

XHTML | CSS | Tutorials | Refferences

Comment

I used ubuntu on development and i was kind of satisfied. Regardless web developing i experienced some difficulties in other visual design projects. You basic problem in web design is the thing so called "internet explorer" which creates most problems. You site must be compatible with "internet explorer" since a lot of people is using it, so you better develop sites using Windows.

Comment

Originally posted by xubuntu69 View Post
          You site must be compatible with "internet explorer" since a lot of people is using it, so you better develop sites using Windows.
          That's not 100% right.

It doesn't really matter which OS you use to code on. True, when you code on Windows, you can easily test your site with IE, but there are ways around that.

Like, setting up a virtual windows machine for testing
          Code:
          http://www.webupd8.org/2011/09/test-websites-in-internet-explorer-9-8.html
          Domain Registrar Domaintechnik® | Hosting | Domains | SSL certificate | Webspace Austria

Comment

Given that the main PHP IDE's are Java based (Zend Studio, PHP Storm) I cant see anything wrong with developing on Linux.

That being said I develop on Windows - The problematic browsers exist on Windows, Linux's Firefox and Chrome behave like their Windows counterparts.

Comment

Working...
            X