Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which distribution is better?

Hi guys.

Maybe you had a change to try both distributions and what is the difference between them? CentOS or Debian?

Well, since both of those OS's are Linux and not Unix, it's in the wrong section lol. But between the too, I'd have to pick CentOS, as it's what I use daily, and know it well. Although i have nothing bad to say about Debian.

Comment

There are many different Linux distributions, or versions. A "distribution" is the compiled Linux source code, usually combined with extra features and software. Some distributions are available for download at no charge while others are available at affordable prices on CD-ROM from Linux retailers worldwide

Comment

I use Ubuntu, which is a Debian OS - I like the configuration system that they've implemented, and the package based software installer/updaters makes keeping up to date is a cinch

Comment

Thanks for sharing, upstairs in the hard work

Comment

I'll pick Debian without a doubts

Comment

I've been using Debian for a while now and I feel that I should go around different distributions and learn a little bit more about them. Every distribution I've used thus far has been based on APT.
              Last edited by Jason; 03-10-2011, 08:11 PM. Reason: spam lnik removed

Comment

I'd say Ubuntu, Fedora or Debian. All stable and have been with us for a long time now.

Comment

According to my experience CentOS is much simpler and easy to configuration, however, this is just my personal opinion it may vary user to user. Anyway, you can also consider Debian and Ubuntu. IMHO, choose one your most comfortable with. Personally, I would suggest CentOS.

Comment

If it was between CentOS and Debian, I'd pick CentOS every time.

Comment

Originally posted by Eric_HE View Post
                      If it was between CentOS and Debian, I'd pick CentOS every time.
                      Yep same here CentOS all the way ..

Comment

Ubuntu is the best choice for beginners. It is more friendly to user...

Comment

I, too, have been wondering about which distribution I should choose to use. I am still new to Linux but am willing to learn its curve. I have Ubuntu 10.10 on my vmWare Player right now. It seems alright, but I'd like to try out a couple others (perhaps a distro with the task bar at the bottom kind of like Windows).

I've seen many recommendations for CentOS but it says it's an enterprise-like distribution. Could anyone tell me what exactly that means?

Comment

If used on your desktop machine, I will definitely pick Ubunto, however for server side, CentOS is much better.

Comment

Though I am Windows user when it comes to PC, however, for my web hosting needs, I always prefer CentOS distro of Linux! It supports almost everything apart from the Microsoft technologies, .Net.

Comment

Working...
                              X