nine google adsense tips

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cybrax View Post
    ... googlebot not only reads all javascript...
    Is that really true now? Or just yet another myth?

Originally posted by drivle View Post
    Hey C0ldf1re, did you ever get a response to your sig?...
    No. It's still building up backlinks, for the little that they are worth.
    Live fast. Die young. Leave a beautiful body of code. (Nick Romano in Knock on any Door 1949... nearly!) Initiative test for Peg! Can you see this link? Small business multi-user multi-currency accounts freeware & multi-company accounting software NB. It is not spam - I'm allowed to have a signature! Hee, hee! It's been here months without you seeing!

Comment

Originally posted by C0ldf1re View Post
      Is that really true now? Or just yet another myth?
      Here's a link the Google Webmaster blog for way back in 2008 how else do you think they detect cloaked pages, sneaky redirects and amateur click-jacking?

Of course for the uber paranoid it's what Google and the other web crawlers don't talk about that creates some dark areas of interest, take image analysis for example. Adding this kind of capability to search engines has been an idea kicking around since 2004 BTW. Some spammers are known to be doing it already to crack captchas automatically so no great leap of faith is required to believe the likes of Google could also start reading text or watermarks from off images.

Comment

Here's a link the Google Webmaster blog for way back in 2008 how else do you think they detect cloaked pages, sneaky redirects and amateur click-jacking?...
        From that link:
        We already do some pretty smart things like scanning JavaScript and Flash to discover links to new web pages
        Even though they said that back then, if your website depends on a JavaScript menu, then you need to include a sitemap to get the pages crawled --- or have you tried it without a sitemap and found it to work?
        Live fast. Die young. Leave a beautiful body of code. (Nick Romano in Knock on any Door 1949... nearly!) Initiative test for Peg! Can you see this link? Small business multi-user multi-currency accounts freeware & multi-company accounting software NB. It is not spam - I'm allowed to have a signature! Hee, hee! It's been here months without you seeing!

Comment

Not personally like most here I try to keep the googlebot happy and that means making its life easier by submitting sitemaps (or having adsense on the page) but several others who are seriously into their SEO continue to perform some very interesting work in this field. Here's some light reading...

Javascript Menus & SEO
          GoogleBot is Chrome
          Google Isn't Just Reading Your Links, It's Now Running Your Code

“You do not want to go where search engines are;
          you want to go where search engines are going to be.” matt cutts

Comment

... Here's some light reading...
            Thanks, Cybrax, those are A1 links. (One even has cartoons!) My appreciation goes beyond mere thanks and reputation... I'll even buy you beer!

Comment

I'll even buy you beer!
              .. I'm hoping for a double scotch

Always have backup advert codes from another provider like Adbrite attached to each Adsense slot in the event google cannot find an advertiser who wants the space. It's unlikely with good content but some sites can suffer from this especially with Link Units.

Mixing ads from different providers on the same page is also a gentle way of saying to Google that it has competition for your available ad slots.

Long blog pages, you know.. 10 or more 'Page Downs' the kind you get finger ache scrolling through? If the visitor arrives using a URL with an anchor link eg: myblog.com/blog.php#funny_pic make the server insert the adverts above and below the article where the user will see them or use CSS to make the ads float always in view along the screen margin.

Plus if the stats are getting to weird for your liking or page views are abnormally high for a single IP you can swap in the replacements on the fly to protect your primary revenue stream. Swapping periodically between the two also helps combat Ad-blindness in users.

Speaking of Ad-Blindness here is a simple jQuery snippet that detects if a browser plugin like ADBLOCK is being used by a visitor. (Requires jQuery library in the head section of the page if it's not there already for something else like a slideshow )
              Code:
              <div id="adright"></div>
              <script type="text/javascript">
              if ($("#adright").is(":hidden")) {
                 // alert("Adblock Detected");
               // do  things to the user like hide the page content or redirect the page
              } else {
                 // alert("All is well!");
               // do nothing
              }
              </script>

Comment

.. I'm hoping for a double scotch ...
                It might turn into a whole bottle of single-malt! You are talking at the very limit of my knowledge here, but I can tell that you're writing all good stuff.

... Always have backup advert codes from another provider like Adbrite attached to each Adsense slot in the event google cannot find an advertiser who wants the space... Mixing ads from different providers on the same page is also a gentle way of saying to Google that it has competition for your available ad slots...
                That makes business sense. Is there some standard code to do this? I am asking in the context of WordPress blogs.

... Plus if the stats are getting to weird for your liking or page views are abnormally high for a single IP you can swap in the replacements on the fly to protect your primary revenue stream...
                Are you talking about guarding against click-bombing, as in too many clicks on an ad getting people banned from Google?

... Speaking of Ad-Blindness here is a simple jQuery snippet that detects if a browser plugin like ADBLOCK is being used by a visitor...
                I do so hate that; I use Firefox with AdBlock. But it won't be so immoral if it's me that's doing it! Hmmm... Simple it is not, to some of us. I need the jQuery 101.

Comment

The web is a big place and will never claim to know how it all works, Wordpress is one area I do not do a lot with but they do seem to have a plugin for most things and good community support so somebody else can help in that area.

As for Adsense showing backup/ alternate ads it is a feature that was added in late 2011 to the adsense control panel so the code in the page does not change instead Google just re-wires the ads at its end so no changes needed on the website or wordpress site.

Malicious click-bombing or any user activity that looks strange or out of place is a constant worry after all Google Adsense pays reasonably well so you don't want your visitors to upset them.

Comment

The web is a big place and will never claim to know how it all works, Wordpress is one area I do not do a lot with but they do seem to have a plugin for most things and good community support so somebody else can help in that area...
                    Yes. WordPress is always being improved. That's why I'm considering revamping all my websites as WordPress.

... As for Adsense showing backup/ alternate ads it is a feature that was added in late 2011 to the adsense control panel so the code in the page does not change instead Google just re-wires the ads at its end so no changes needed on the website or wordpress site...
                    That's useful to know. It is years since I used AdSense, but I'd like to keep the option open.

... Malicious click-bombing or any user activity that looks strange or out of place is a constant worry after all Google Adsense pays reasonably well so you don't want your visitors to upset them.
                    Yes. I remember a forum admin who banned a member for insulting behaviour and his AdSense account was soon click-bombed into oblivion. Fortunately spammers don't take revenge that way when they are banned; they want their favorite forums to thrive so that they can return to spam again under new names.

Comment

Great adsense tips thanks for sharing!

Comment

Very useful tips thanks.

Comment

Working...
                        X