Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• nine google adsense tips

nine google adsense tips

Ads can work well in-between other stuff. On a games site of mine, some of the games

don't contain ads next to the game area; the AdSense ad will only be shown in-between

game rounds. This is the time the visitor is not concentrating on performing a task

but might take a small break, and be open to the option of visiting new sites.

Put too much emphasis on AdSense and your site may be linked to less. The more

available space you dedicate to AdSense on your site, and the less you differentiate

between ads and content in your design, the more money you earn with the program,

right? Not quite. While pushing the AdSense may result in short-term gains, it might

also convince some visitors that the site is too crowded to be worth visiting again.

And some of those visitors may also be bloggers or other people who might otherwise

help to promote your site with links to it. And the less your site gets linked to, the

less traffic it gets, meaning AdSense revenues may go down in the long term.

Even if you get huge traffic, the AdSense income from the site is more dependent on

the site type and audience. Google targets AdSense ads automatically to the site

content. Or at least, it does so ideally – but some types of content fare better than

others with this targeting. I noticed for instance that AdSense does better on a games

site than on a technology blog. I also heard people say that AdSense does quite good

on product oriented blogs; say, one post solely about the iPod; another post solely

about Gadget XYZ, and so on.

Image ads can be relevant and work for you, but they might also apall some visitors.

Google's AdSense program gives you the option to choose between a couple of different

ad formats. Two main groups are text ads vs text & image ads. When you choose the

latter, Google will deliver what they deem works best for your content (or so one

would hope, and it would be in Google's best self-interest to serve you the best

possible ad, it seems).

However, Google doesn't really know your layout preferences, and they don't really

understand when your audience thinks ads are "too much"; and considering image ads

include Flash animations (which you can't disable, once you go for image ads), Flash

animations may well push some people away. One thing you can do is to only show image

ads in areas where they don't disturb the content, e.g. at the end of posts. Also, you

might want to listen to visitor feedback on the ads being served; I received emails

before that the blinking ad on this or that site made a person want to leave the site,

at which point I blocked the specific advertiser via the AdSense Setup -> Competitive

Ad Filter option.

When it comes to context sensitive targeting, you can increase or lower the importance

of certain parts of your page. To help Google find a matching ad for your content, you

can use the HTML comment syntax by encapsulating more important parts with

<!-- google_ad_section_start -->
    ... your important site content here ...
    <!-- google_ad_section_end -->.

Or, to lower the importance of a section, use:

<!-- google_ad_section_start(weight=ignore) -->
    ... your not so important site content here ...
    <!-- google_ad_section_end -->

(Google notes that it may take up to 2 weeks for this change to your site will be

taken into account by the AdSense.)

What if your site doesn't have any good matchable content to begin with, though? Say,

the page just includes an image. Well, for the reasons of search engine optimization

but also ad optimization you might want to consider using at least a descriptive

title, an explanatory footer containing the important keywords or keyphrases (the kind

of footer that actually helps the human visitor by explaining what the page is about).

In the case of image content, reasonable alt and title attribute texts should be used

as well.*

*Whatever you do, don't resort to "keyword-stuffing" as it doesn't help your visitors

and may get your page ranked lower in search engines.

Be aware of risks when you change ad layouts too much. I once had a system on the

server to randomly differ between various AdSense layouts on the same page. Doing so I

was hoping to add some good variety to keep the ads at least somewhat interesting and

notable. Shortly after I stopped doing so and simply included a rather big static area

for the AdSense to "do what it wants," the AdSense revenues for that site increased.

Now, I don't know if this was a coincidence of some sorts, as revenues often go down

or up even when you don't do anything, but it might well have been that there was a

connection between adding too much homemade randomization, and lowered revenues.

At another time, during the redesign of this blog, I switched from one ad format to

another for the end-of-posts AdSense ad space. This, combined with perhaps other

layout changes, suddenly cut the ad revenues in half for the blog. It took me some

time to realize that I had some ad channels* set up for the specific old layout size,

and by changing this I must have kicked out all those advertisers who were pushing

their ads through the channel.

*This setting can be found at AdSense Setup -> Channels.

Use competing ad systems when AdSense doesn't seem to work for a site. At

CoverBrowser.com, which shows galleries of comic and book covers and so on, I tried

including AdSense ads in "non-annoying" places in the layout (including trying to use

AdSense affiliate links via AdSense Setup -> Referrals), but this didn't seem to work

at all. However I then tried "affiliating" the "buy" link below individual covers,

utilizing the eBay affiliate commission system offered by AuctionAds.com*.

(Disclosure: Patrick Gavin, co-owner of AuctionAds, paid me for consulting before on

other projects, like Sketchcast.com.) This worked a lot better, and as it was simply

connected to an existing site feature, it also didn't add clutter.

A good start to find other ad programs is to search for adsense alternatives on

Google... you will see a lot of lists which are dedicated to competitors. (Note that

some of these competitors may be US-only.) You may also want to join an ad or blog

network like The Deck, Federated Media (disclosure: I was part of Federated Media

before), or 9 Rules. Before joining such a network – which might require you to show

them your traffic stats and so on – check if their typical ads and campaigns fit with

your site layout and your general ad type preferences.

*CommissionJunction also offers an eBay affiliate system but CommissionJunction has

really low usability, in my opinion; setting it up is confusing.

Sometimes you may get a sudden increase in traffic, hence ad clicks, but you can't

locate the source of the traffic. I'm using Google Analytics to track my sites, though

AdSense is also a good first indicator of traffic explosions... because it will show

the combined page views of all your sites (provided you include AdSense on all of

them), as opposed to Google Analytics, where you need to check site by site

individually.

However, sometimes even with Google Analytics, you won't be able to locate the source

of your traffic because there's no specific new popular referrer being shown (a

referrer is the site linking to your site, provided people click on that link). In

these cases, it may well be that your site has been discussed in a TV show or similar,

as the show won't "link" to you (but audiences will be entering your domain manually

into the browser when they like what the saw on TV). When you feel that there has been

a traffic explosion sometimes you may get additional email feedback in regards to your

site, and it makes sense for you to ask your visitor: where did you first find out

about the site? Maybe the can let you know about the name of the TV show, or magazine,

or other "offline" source responsible for the peak. (I sometimes sent pointers to the

BBC Click show for instance, with partly enormous effect.)

Consider using AdSense even when the page doesn't get any traffic yet. Who knows, some

day the traffic suddenly explodes, and you might not realize fast enough and thus miss

out on the action (as sometimes, traffic goes as fast as it comes).

On the other hand, reversely I would suggest to never do a site just to make ad money

with it. That kind of motivation may lead to spammy sites that don't help anyone

really. (If a project is great, it's great even if it doesn't make any money.)
    Last edited by Pegasus; 09-22-2010, 12:32 AM. Reason: sig removed - you can have one after 30 days membership AND 30 posts

Very inspired tips, I think I'll check them one by one. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Originally posted by bobjuck View Post
      Very inspired tips, I think I'll check them one by one. Thanks for sharing.
      And the spam-bot certainly has shared them. About a thousand places on the net contain the keyphrase, "people say that AdSense does quite good on product oriented blogs"!
      Live fast. Die young. Leave a beautiful body of code. (Nick Romano in Knock on any Door 1949... nearly!) Initiative test for Peg! Can you see this link? Small business multi-user multi-currency accounts freeware & multi-company accounting software NB. It is not spam - I'm allowed to have a signature! Hee, hee! It's been here months without you seeing!

Comment

Very useful tips. Thanks for sharing...

Comment

Really inspired and useful Adsense tips, thanks for sharing. Recently my Adsense earning got huge decrease, I guess it's because the summer season?

Comment

Thanks for these important tips. i think for very large site with several pages its mandatory to use the Google analytics. if any one follow these tips , will be benefited without any doubt.
            thanks

Comment

I think only Peg reads my posts. Other people just carry on thanking the OP.
              Live fast. Die young. Leave a beautiful body of code. (Nick Romano in Knock on any Door 1949... nearly!) Initiative test for Peg! Can you see this link? Small business multi-user multi-currency accounts freeware & multi-company accounting software NB. It is not spam - I'm allowed to have a signature! Hee, hee! It's been here months without you seeing!

Comment

*lol* Could be. I only left this one up because I thought it had some valuable information. Some of it I hadn't thought of before, that's for sure.
                Cat-herder Extraordinaire

Comment

Peg! That has triggered a wierd idea, where I would be interested in your thoughts. Watch for a new thread with a really wierd title.
                  (I am only writing "wierd" to emphasize the weirdness of the idea!)

Comment

Useful tips, thanks for sharing. I will have a try later.

Comment

1. Your Google Adsense Earning = Impression Count x Click-though-rate x Cost-per-click x smart-pricing-factor.

2. Impression Count is basically total page views or referred traffic or you can say number times of your Google Adsense Block shown.

3. Click-through-rate (CTR) is ratio of clicks to the total impressions. It can range from 0.1% to 30%, but most commonly around 1% to 10%.

4. Cost-per-click (CPC) is the amount you get paid from Google Adsense for a click. Traditionally it refers to the amount of advertiser pay for each click, alternatively it could be understand as amount publisher get paid for each valid click.

5. Smart Pricing Factor is the factor that counts the value of each valid click or time spends by user in the advertiser network or website.

6. Apply from Google Services like Blogger.com, Google Sites, Google Knol and Google Apps, for faster approval. Though Google Adsense sometime do not accept invitation from certain regions like India and China if your website is not 6 month old

7. Once you get the Adsense Publisher ID, you can put the Google Adsense code on other websites without requiring further approval.

8. Read the Google Adsense policies carefully.

9. Viewing your website will not ban you, just make sure you don’t click on Google Adsense adverts, however repeated website viewing to jack up the website page views, can bring some trouble.
                      Last edited by Pegasus; 02-16-2012, 11:59 PM. Reason: spam sig removed

Comment

Very helpful hints/tips. Thanks for posting.

Comment

Common Adsense Mistakes

Never tweek the font, background, text or link colours to exactly match those of the site. Users MUST be able to tell the difference between an internal site link and an advert. Else Google will shutdown the account and you don't get any money it has earned for you.

Hiding all or even part of an advert deliberatly or by accident can also incur the the wrath of Google. Remember googlebot not only reads all javascript but they are taking screenshots as well these days.

Don't try outsmarting Google, they have been known to check some sites via a network of proxy servers if they suspect htaccess is being used to cloak a pages true content from the USA based googlebot.

Putting ads from a competing service directly next to adsense also annoys the hell out of Google and again account termination is posibble.

Comment

Google Adsense tips are as below:

1. Provide the feature a Email to a friend into your website.
                            2. Do not use black hat SEO techniques for promoting the website.
                            3. Write the professional content through which you can get targeted audience.
                            4. Always be patient with the result, the reason is that it will take so much time.
                            Last edited by Delois; 07-20-2012, 07:15 AM.

Comment

Hey C0ldf1re, did you ever get a response to your sig? I guess it depends upon the resolution and contrast settings of your monitor

Comment

Working...
                              X