Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some people have the habit of being nice for a while, then spamming and/or posting just to boost their count, then being nice again, and repeating it. After a while, we get tired of the nonsense and we ban them.

Congrats on being asked to be a mod. It can be a thankless job, for starters. Guidelines for mods?
    1) Be polite. It never hurts and can add umph to your words when you *do* have to drop Toronto on someone's head. (Do that politely and off the boards, too.)
    2) Not everyone is fluent in written English. Make an effort to try to figure out what the person wants. If you still don't understand fully, ask questions.
    3) Just because you *can* ban someone, doesn't mean you should. You're not the only one who can have a bad day. I'm notorious for not banning people because they've had a bad day or two (my words, not necessarily actual facts) but I'm also known for banning some groups of people without question as I've already had experience with addresses/usernames in the same genre.
    4) If you don't know something, say so. There's nothing worse than a know-it-all who doesn't. Unless it's one who does, in which case, don't crow.
    5) Recognize that there only 'stupid' questions out there are the ones that people are afraid to ask. Don't intimidate people into thinking they can't ask questions.
    6) Don't lose your temper with members. It only gives them more power over you. Don't let them push your buttons. If you have to, go away for a bit and rehearse your reply before actually committing it to the boards.
    7) When in doubt, refer things to someone who isn't personally involved in a discussion. They may be able to see what you can't and sort things out. Don't be afraid to ask for help.
    8) Smile when you're posting. You'd be surprised how much a smile on your face actually affects the words you're using. People can't see your smile, true, but they *can* see your choice of words. I think of my words as bacon - cooking, frying, sizzling. Three words that mean the same thing but have a different mental image.

That's what I try to do and how I'd like the mods here to behave. But each board is different. About the only way you can figure out what a board's guidelines are for the various situations is to look through their old posts and see how the mods have handled things. If all else fails, ask the person who asked you to be a mod what the basic guidelines are as far as *they're* concerned. Ask about the biggest do's and don'ts. It'll start you off in the right direction.

Have I been of any help?
    Cat-herder Extraordinaire

Comment

Originally posted by Pegasus View Post
      ... Have I been of any help?
      Wow! Peg, you're a darling. You must have spent over an hour writing that tutorial. I've read it over 3 times, and that is really insightful advice. Thanks very much!
      Live fast. Die young. Leave a beautiful body of code. (Nick Romano in Knock on any Door 1949... nearly!) Initiative test for Peg! Can you see this link? Small business multi-user multi-currency accounts freeware & multi-company accounting software NB. It is not spam - I'm allowed to have a signature! Hee, hee! It's been here months without you seeing!

Comment

*lol* You know, I have no idea how long it took me to write that. Some parts went quickly and others not so much. It happens. Actually, you did me a favour, too. I don't think I've ever completely written out a set of guidelines for our own mods. I know we *used* to have one set, back when I first got here, but I have no idea how to access them any more.

Glad I could be of some help. And you're quite welcome.
        Cat-herder Extraordinaire

Comment

Working...
        X