Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maybe, but the light bulb was lit indicating new activity so I read it. Why did I respond? Well, because I'm bored I guess. But, I do wonder why someone would join a forum such as this one that exists so people can help other people, and then spend his/her time posting negative comments about how it is run, or against others that have obviously put in the time (500+ posts) to help it grow to where it is now.

Then, ask for help??

But rest assured, I have decided to ignore that type of B.S. in the future.

I also just now read dorks apology. Good deal man. We all have bad days. Hell, I'm having one now

Comment

I've got a grey area question...what exactly is the benchmark for judging rather or not a sig(the images therein) are distracting?are we talking bright annoying colors that burn retnas and can't help but draw eyes to their torture?or is there a certain level of eye candy it should be kept below?reason I ask is I'll be making a new sig soon..and rather then bother a mod whom I'm sure are busy enough to review the image before it's set as my sig(altho if that would be a better way to handle it I can do that as well) I would like to find out the benchmark and perhaps a few examples of acceptable and unacceptable imagery for a signature?I don't wanna get in hot water for a distracting sig,but I also don't want to make it if I have no idea of where the line between distracting and not distracting is

thanks ^^
      DarksidePuffin
      "It's the bucket o' nothing, for only 99,99,99!"

Comment

Originally posted by willamoose
        I've got a grey area question...what exactly is the benchmark for judging rather or not a sig(the images therein) are distracting?are we talking bright annoying colors that burn retnas and can't help but draw eyes to their torture?or is there a certain level of eye candy it should be kept below?reason I ask is I'll be making a new sig soon..and rather then bother a mod whom I'm sure are busy enough to review the image before it's set as my sig(altho if that would be a better way to handle it I can do that as well) I would like to find out the benchmark and perhaps a few examples of acceptable and unacceptable imagery for a signature?I don't wanna get in hot water for a distracting sig,but I also don't want to make it if I have no idea of where the line between distracting and not distracting is

thanks ^^
        I'm not sure, and don't quote me on this, but I assumed they meant something along the lines of nothing that could cause people to get in a knot about. Distracting like taking a swimsuit model and having a gif which moves up and down to highlight her... "features" and such.

I guess something else would be making a gif that flashes a lot. Just stuff that takes your eye off the text and on to it... I think having bright colors is fine if you're not flashing them around, but I'd wait for a mod.

Comment

Or just a swimsuit model in general. Not too long ago somebody had their sig as a girl with a bikini. He was asked to change it.

Comment

Originally posted by willamoose
            reason I ask is I'll be making a new sig soon..and rather then bother a mod whom I'm sure are busy enough to review the image before it's set as my sig(altho if that would be a better way to handle it I can do that as well) I would like to find out the benchmark and perhaps a few examples of acceptable and unacceptable imagery for a signature?I don't wanna get in hot water for a distracting sig,but I also don't want to make it if I have no idea of where the line between distracting and not distracting is

thanks ^^
            The fact you are thinking it may be susspect means that it probably is. Would you be happy to see it if it was in someone elses sig? If yes, then its probably ok, if no, then there is your guideline.
            Send it to me in a PM Will if you're not sure and I'll be happy to look at it before you put it on and give it the ok if you are worried about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Ian
              The fact you are thinking it may be susspect means that it probably is. Would you be happy to see it if it was in someone elses sig? If yes, then its probably ok, if no, then there is your guideline.
              Send it to me in a PM Will if you're not sure and I'll be happy to look at it before you put it on and give it the ok if you are worried about it.
              well...I wouldn't mind it...but not everyone has the same tastes as me...I appreciate the offer there Ian,but alas...I havn't made it yet..I just have a concept in my head...I won't be making it till I need it(ie: till my sites are close to going up in beta..which will hopefully be by monday) but I'll be sure to take you up on that...after all...if it's distracting I'd rather not find out the long way ....it's nothing explicit or anything with any sort of ennuendo....but it would have a fair usage of effects(grids and such) as well as distinct seperation into at least 4 different 'parts'...hense why I questioned it's distractingness.

Thanks ^_^
              DarksidePuffin
              "It's the bucket o' nothing, for only 99,99,99!"

Comment

If in the Introductions forums a newcomer has a signature not within guidelines, and nobody has yet refered them to this thread, or non-moderators allowed to tell them to see this thread?

Comment

No. Contact a moderator and they'll do the referral.

Pegasus
                  Cat-herder Extraordinaire

Comment

Does my signature image count as text? Can I still have my 2 extra lines of text?

Comment

Your sig image is too large. You do not get "2 extra lines". You're only allowed 5 lines of standard forum text, not 5 lines of size-and-a-half text.

The dimensions are fine, but your sig is 52k in filesize - 17k larger than Jason has allowed.

Pegasus

Comment

If I just wrote out what my sig says it would be:

"Help make a story, of a orange orangutan who eats people with an atomic spoon. You control every aspect of the story by adding three words: for full details click here. Kindly hosted @ HTMLforums"

Two lines.

Even in a size larger font:
                        Help make a story, of a orange orangutan who eats people with an atomic spoon. You control every aspect of the story by adding three words: for full details click here. Kindly hosted @ HTMLforums

2-3 lines (depending on screen resolution).

It's because the words in the image must rap after 350px while in the browser it isn't restricted so much.

Comment

Fine. Then use straight text to create your sig and ditch the image. You have 5 lines of normal text or an image of no more than 80x350. Your choice.

The only way you can get 'extra' lines of text is if your image is considerably less than 80px high.

Peg

Comment

Understood! The reason I choose, using an image was so I could add that 'cool' effect in photoshop (which I just got ). I'll try do something else and stay under the file size limit

Comment

I am a newbie to these forums, anyway can I advertise another site in my sig?

Comment

Yeah go ahead, just make sure they follow the guidelines above. You can advertise anything yo want as long as it's not offensive.

Comment

Working...
                                X