How to Get Comments but Not Spam

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to Get Comments but Not Spam

I have a Wordpress blog and of course, have a comments section. But I think I'm making it too difficult for real people to post. I have a bunch of apps, and registration.

I'm wondering how others do it. How do you take comments from great folks who want to contribute, make it as easy for them as possible to do so, but at the same time keep the spammers out?

What apps "should" I be using?

It's always going to be hard to keep spammers out. I've got a long-neglected blog site with a Wordpress installation and I still get 5 - 10 spam comment posts a week.

I think the best thing to do is to advertise your blog in relevant communities, comment on similar blogs and build relationships that way. Look into guest blog opportunities and submit to a few relevant and high domain authority blog directories, as well.

Comment

Sorry to say, you will always get spam, just have to find a way to limit them. It's good to use a comment captcha plugin, it will reduce the volume.

You can also make users register, before they can comment.

If you post regularly, you can edit the settings to close comments after a certain amount of days. I set mine for 14 days, that way I am not going through comments on posts that are a year old.

Comment

It is hard to stop spams, but certainly can filter them.

I would add a strong CAPTCHA system and pre approve each comment

Comment

To have genuine people to comment on your blog... promote your blog on relevant communities, promote your blog on social networks like Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn etc. write about latest trends and updates, people like commenting on latest news and updates.

Comment

I get nothing but spam on a blog that I produced a long time ago. I never approve them but I never use the blog anymore. I guess the spammers drove me off my own blog.

Comment

It is always good to be the Moderator of your blog, you can approve , disapprove or delete the comment, or mark it as spam .

Comment

Spam can not be prevent you just have to moderate your comments if you don't want such type of spam commenting on your blog else i dont see any other good way

Comment

Read this and decide which solution is best for you:

http://codex.wordpress.org/Combating_Comment_Spam

Especially take a look at "Comment Spam Hacks", which I can assure you will be very effective. Bots will look for specific urls and if you don't have them, they can't find them. However, do not use the "nofollow" suggestion. You want to encourage people to comment, and this means that other bloggers have to be able to post a link to their site on yours.
                  Last edited by michaelstampone; 05-19-2012, 07:26 AM.
                  My Website - openalgorithms.com

Comment

I allow only registered user and allow comments only 50

Comment

Originally posted by fiversworld View Post
                      It is hard to stop spams, but certainly can filter them.

I would add a strong CAPTCHA system and pre approve each comment
                      I totally agree - it is hard to stop spam, but you can filter them out by
                      pre approving the comments.

Comment

Akismet does a great job at spam filtering.

Comment

Originally posted by sprinter View Post
                          Akismet does a great job at spam filtering.
                          Akismet does it's part, yes, but it's not perfect. I got Akismet on all my websites. One of them gets 2000 spam posts over a couple of days, and ~10 slips through the spamfilter.

Here's another idea. Get the plug-in call PlayThru, made by Areyouahuman.com. Get it light mode, so that people will have to play a small game before the comment can be sent. It works for registration and lost password form too. Contact even if I'm not mistaken. Bots MAY be able to solve the puzzle after some time, but some smart thinking from the plug-ins side, will spot it as a bot anyway, and decline it. Pretty handy. I've had 0 spam submissions myself after installing it. So it's worth a shot.

Comment

Originally posted by Peowdie View Post
                            Akismet does it's part, yes, but it's not perfect. I got Akismet on all my websites. One of them gets 2000 spam posts over a couple of days, and ~10 slips through the spamfilter.

Here's another idea. Get the plug-in call PlayThru, made by Areyouahuman.com. Get it light mode, so that people will have to play a small game before the comment can be sent. It works for registration and lost password form too. Contact even if I'm not mistaken. Bots MAY be able to solve the puzzle after some time, but some smart thinking from the plug-ins side, will spot it as a bot anyway, and decline it. Pretty handy. I've had 0 spam submissions myself after installing it. So it's worth a shot.
                            My God, that is freaking brilliant!! Captcha can get pretty annoying, but this seems like a nice alternative. I'll remember this!
                            Domain Registrar Domaintechnik® | Hosting | Domains | SSL certificate | Webspace Austria

Comment

Originally posted by Peowdie View Post
                              Here's another idea. Get the plug-in call PlayThru, made by Areyouahuman.com.
                              Clever idea, but I found it really tedious (had a few goes), it also failed a couple of times. Couldn't think of using that on any serious website...too cutesy.
                              The 'Capture butterflies only' thing with a net was impossible, the butterflies ended up being pinned into a corner by the other flying stuff!

I used to add an input field to forms and hide it with CSS, if the input field had any data in it when the form got posted, I would assume it's spam bot. Haven't used this technique for a while and not sure how relevant it is nowadays, especially as cheap labour is also used to spam.
                              I currently stick to a simple captcha for contact pages, and a captcha + IP based Geo location for login pages.

If I were to set up a blog, I would probably pre-moderate peoples first 3 posts or something, depending on how busy the site & I am of course.
                              On one of our servers, we were getting so much spam from certain countries that we ended up blocking ALL IP's from India & China, bit drastic, but reduced spam enormously. 99% of the people I catapult on here have Indian IP addresses.
                              Last edited by Reiss; 09-11-2012, 09:01 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X