No announcement yet.

~Jumped ship?~

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's not only the lack of emails, Coot, but the fact that many people post all over the place, as you've pointed out to several, and they never remember where they post. Or they get an answer in one site and ignore the rest.

As for the emails, part of our problem was that we were getting too many bouncing emails and the host took exception to that and banned us from having emails. We thought we had the problem licked, but I guess not.

As for what to use for BBCode to embed a video, I'm afraid I don't know. I'll have to look it up when I have a bit more time.
    Cat-herder Extraordinaire

Comment

*lol* And as usual, coot types faster than I do.

Comment

Hi there Peg,

It's not only the lack of emails
        Well, can we at least agree that this once thriving forum's sudden decline started
        about four years ago due to problems that were sadly never fully addressed in a
        professional manner by the forum's technical administration team?

My original post to this thread was just a gentle way of saying that those two had
        really "fcuked up" HTMLForums in a way that can only be described as despicable.

~ the original bald headed old fart ~

Comment

I'm not sure of the timeline, but yeah, we can agree on that.

Comment

Comment

Hi there CatGirl6369,

I do not understand your obsession with private messaging.

Putting aside the fact that vBulletin® Version 5.2.1 is a total disaster created
              by the devil incarnate and installed by two of his diabolical acolytes, why can't
              you start new threads and just attach your images to them?

It would, at lest give this place some semblance of life and activity.

Better still dump the gifs altogether and exercise you pinkies on the keyboard.

Comment

I don't have a problem with you PMing me.

Comment

Well, this is an interesting state of affairs to come back to.

Comment

lol, coot, I have always been here, in the back of the room waiting for the servers to start fire. Yes, the demise of the forums was server state and emails. I have tried my best to keep it going but I am with you, you can only complain so much until it falls on deaf ears. I am at a loss for the emails not sending, its partly due to the new hosting setup and how strict they are. Because there are so many emails going out and because so many of them bounce back, partly because of the old member base, that the hosting company shuts it down. I have tried my best to clean up the old members. I can only do so much. I mean I have deleted over 150,000 members.

catgirl, you posts hurt my old eyes lmao. but the refreshing issue you are experiencing is new to me and I have not heard anybody else have the issue. I myself have been away and coming back I don' experience it.

Sorry for my absence, but I sold my house and I have been without a PC for the last few months. I will hopefully be moving into my new house around the beginning of the year, then things will hopefully get back to normal, for what normal is.

As for the new forum software, I, personally, like it. It has a lot more features for stopping spammers than the last version we were on. We couldn't stay on that old version and this is the next best supported version.
                    Have a Script or Snippet you want to share?

WWW Standards: HTML 4.01,
                    HTML 5, CSS2.1, CSS3, XHTML 1.0
                    PHP Standards: PHP Standards

Comment

Hi there scoutt,

I still contend that "vBulletin 5.2.1." is a diabolic pile of excrement.

Not one of the coding forums that I visit has installed it and not one
                      of them has any of the problems that have bedeviled HTMLForums
                      for the past four years.

1. http://www.codingforums.com/ - vBulletin 4.2.2
                      2. http://www.webdeveloper.com/forum/ - vBulletin 4.2.2
                      3. www.dynamicdrive.com/forums/ - vBulletin 4.2.2
                      4. http://forums.devshed.com/ - vBulletin 4.2.0
                      5. http://www.vbforums.com/ - vBulletin 4.2.2

I have yet to come across "vBulletin 5.2.1." anywhere else on the
                      coding forums circuit.

The other forum that I visit - Sitepoint - has abandoned "vBulletin."
                      altogether in favour of Discourse.

This is an entirely different forum format but works very well.

Comment

Hey, Scoutt! Check out your email from Will. It's important.

Glad to see you back though. Congrats on getting a new house. (((hugs)))

Comment

coot, they are on 4.2 still because they don't want to upgrade. Its not even an option to download that version as they don't offer it as a download, at least not when we upgraded. We had no choice but to upgrade to this version. Those sites will come around when support is stopped on them. And with all do respect, its not the software that's making us have these problems, its the host we are on. Amazon AWS is more strict when it comes to mass emails. As you have seen, and I am assuming here, Sitepoint abandoned it because they didn't want this version. We have had problems for the past 4 years because of spammers and the version of software we ran didn't have any means to stop them. It was very tedious work to keep up with them, and when most of the volunteers stop coming, it makes it even harder. We just got overwhelmed with them and it created a hard spot for us when we upgraded. 4.2 has some fairly decent spam blockers, so I don't blame them for staying with it.

Peg, Oh I seen it I spoke to Will, I feel for him, he's in a hard time and I know exactly what he's going through. So, yes I have been busy on that as well. And thank you
                          Have a Script or Snippet you want to share?

WWW Standards: HTML 4.01,
                          HTML 5, CSS2.1, CSS3, XHTML 1.0
                          PHP Standards: PHP Standards

Comment

Okay, I just wanted to make sure that had heard the news. I've found a reseller I can work with, so I'll be moving when my credit card payment clears.

Comment

Comment

Message received and one sent.

Comment

Working...
                                X